Recent news:

4000th facility has been added to the Ski Jumping Hill Archive

7000th ski jumping hill added to the Archive!

New Granåsen ski jump in Trondheim inaugurated

Fire destroys ski jumps in Biberau-Biberschlag

Copper Peak: Funding of the renovation finally secured

more


Send us your ski jumping hill photos and information via email!


Latest updates:

2026-01-19

SVKSvit

SLOJuršinci

POL-RStrachocina

2026-01-18

SVKSvit

2026-01-17

SVKVysoké Tatry

2026-01-16

SVKDemänovská Dolina

2026-01-15

CZE-HJánské Láznĕ

2026-01-14

POL-RKrosno   NEW!

GER-SNAltenberg

POL-KWieliczka

SLOSrednje Gameljne

GER-STAnnarode

JPN-01Kamisunagawa

POL-WWarszawa

CZE-HChroustov

more



Advertisement:




Partner:

Peter Riedel Sports Technology

SkokiPolska.pl

Skispringen-Community Forum


Advertisement:



USAUSA-MEHebron

Data | History | Links | Map | Articles | Comments

.

Ski jump:

K-Point: ca. 25 m
Further jumps: no
Plastic matting: no
Year of construction: ca. 1920
Conversions: 1932, 1938
Operating until: 1960's
Status: destroyed
Coordinates: 44.204404, -70.409404 Google Maps OpenStreetMap

to top

History:

The ski jump on the campus of Hebron Academy was actively used from the 1920s until the early 1960s. The facility was located on one of the natural hillsides near the main school buildings along Route 119 and was part of a broader winter sports program developed at the school over several decades.
Construction likely began around 1920 as part of an effort to introduce Nordic skiing into the physical education curriculum at this long-established educational institution. Beginning in 1927, the school regularly hosted Winter Carnivals – seasonal sports festivals in which ski jumping was one of the main attractions. The original structure was typical of the era: a wooden trestle-style inrun tower, built on the eastern slope of the school’s hill.
Throughout the 1930s, the facility underwent several modernizations. In 1932, the inrun structure was reinforced, and in 1938 the tower was likely enlarged.
During this period, Hebron Academy produced several outstanding athletes who began their careers on this very hill. Among them was Aurele Legere (Class of ’39), later inducted into the Maine State Sports Hall of Fame, and Alan “Al” Merrill (Class of ’40), who represented the United States in cross-country skiing at the 1952 Winter Olympics in Oslo and went on to serve for many years as director of Nordic skiing at Dartmouth College. His contributions were honored by induction into the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame.
Although the jump continued to be used into the 1950s, it gradually lost prominence. Alpine slalom and cross-country skiing gained greater emphasis in the school’s sports curriculum, while the jumping infrastructure was increasingly neglected. In the early 1960s, the tower was dismantled and the ski jump was abandoned. By the 1970s, all visible traces of the structure had disappeared.
In the following decades, Hebron Academy continued its skiing traditions but focused exclusively on cross-country skiing. In the 1970s and 1980s, a 5-kilometer trail system was developed thanks to the efforts of coach Dave Stonebraker. To this day, the school campus is used for recreational and interscholastic Nordic skiing training and competitions.

to top

Links:

to top

Map:

to top

Articles:


Advertisement:


to top

Comments:

Post comment:

Token:
Name:
Email:
Title:
Post:
bold | italics | underline | link

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

to top



Social Bookmarks

Copyright © Ski Jumping Hill Archive 2002-2026
www.skijumpinghills.com