|48.0 m (Reiner Dietel )
|Year of construction:
|50.8047663, 13.5387899 ✔
The construction of the ski jump at Silbermann in Frauenstein was approved by the Saxon Ministry of Finance in 1923. It was set up by Johannes Georg (Hans) Neuber, who worked as a ski instructor at the ski club Frauenstein, founded in 1920. Inspired by ski jumping as a seasonal worker in Switzerland, he decided to construct a facility in his home town. Although injured, Hans Neuber survived the First World War and was regarded as a man naturally gifted in technical as well as artistic skills such as painting. The ski jump was opened in 1924 and was in use until the early 1970s.
It was originally called Burgschanze or Parkschanze because the wooden and later regulated inrun structure was located in the middle of the castle ruins. The inrun track led through open walls to a take off, followed by a 36-degree steep landing in the neighbouring park below. The record for the facility was 48 metres. In 1949, modifications were made that severely damaged the structure of the castle ruins and posed a problem for the conservator who supervised the remains of the castle. In 2001, the outer wall surrounding the ruins was closed by the Saxon authorities.
Hans Neuber was a solitary, hill-builder who died in 1968 in Silbermannstadt, at the age of 76. He left behind, self-built facilities in Burkersdorf (Turmbergschanze), Nassau (Grünschönbergschanzen) and Röthenbach (Borbergschanzen). Without any construction documents, using a spade, shovel and rake, he built the ski jumps on which he himself then jumped, although he was not a very good jumper.
During the time of the German Democratic Republic, the facility in Frauenstein was named after him, by decision of the local town council. The last competition was held on 21 March 1971 and the winner was Müller from Altenberg. Today, after the access to the castle wall was closed, only an alley in the park reminds of the former ski jumping hill.