|77.0 m (Werner Lesser )
|Year of construction:
|Year of destruction:
|51.785752, 10.614415 ✔
The history of the Eckerlochschanze began in the beginning 1920’s, when the people of Schierke had to give up the ski jump at the southern hill of the Erdbeerkopf and needed space for a new ski jump. The Eckerloch was given to them for building a ski jumping hill by the “Fürstliche Stolberg Wernigerödische Kammer” and this was one of the most famous ski jumps in the Harz in the following years.
In 1949 the ski jump was reconstructed and in 1950 the first GDR championships in ski jumping took place there. At the same time the name was changed into “Schanze der Einheit”. The political development in Germany unfortunately didn’t leave space for a unity at that time and after the construction of the Berlin Wall 1961 and the separation of Germany the future of the hill was dead. Because of the position in the death zone of the border of the GDR it couldn’t be used anymore, was dilapidating over the years and was finally broken down in the 1970’s.