Recent news:

4000th facility has been added to the Ski Jumping Hill Archive

7000th ski jumping hill added to the Archive!

New Granåsen ski jump in Trondheim inaugurated

Fire destroys ski jumps in Biberau-Biberschlag

Copper Peak: Funding of the renovation finally secured


Send us your ski jumping hill photos and information via email!

Latest updates:


POL-DSzklarska Poręba



FIN-LLSalla   NEW!

FIN-OLSotkamo   NEW!


SWE-31Ambjörby   NEW!

SWE-31Ambjörby   NEW!

SWE-33Arvidsjaur   NEW!


SWE-33Lycksele   NEW!

SWE-31Järvsö   NEW!

SWE-32Mellansel   NEW!


SWE-31Särna   NEW!


SWE-33Älvsbyn   NEW!




Peter Riedel Sports Technology

Skispringen-Community Forum



Data | History | Hill records | Contact | Map | Comments



K-Point: 36 m
Men Winter Hill record: 46.5 m (Gerd Markert DDR, 1984)
Plastic matting: no
Further jumps: K25
Plastic matting: yes
Year of construction: 1954
Status: destroyed
Ski club: BSG Einheit Königswalde
Coordinates: 50.530990, 13.052928 Google Maps OpenStreetMap

to top


In the years of 1930 until 1936 existed an old ski jumping hill of the Ski Club Pöhlatal, which was unfortunately very dilapidated after the war and also used as a wood reserve in the years after. When the section skiing was founded inside BSG Einheit Königswalde in 1952, immediately the plans to built up a new ski jumping hill were forced. Out of several variants the location in Pöhlatal below the old ski jump was selected as the place to construct the new hill.
The plans for the hill profile were developed by Heinz Kampf from Oberwiesenthal and the inventor of plastic mattings Hans Renner from Zella-Mehlis.
The building license, negotiations with the community, forestry and the land surveying office took long time and endured over months. Problems with the site made things even harder, but finally in October 1954 the ground-breaking ceremony could be celebrated. The construction of the jump was mainly done in voluntary hand work by assignments of many friends and helpers. Horse harnessed teams helped to transport wood and steel beams.
The soil works, the construction of the bridge over Pöhla river in the outrun, the inrun and judges tower were great challenges to the constructers, because of the problems at that time with getting material. After four years of constructive time the first unofficial trial jumps could be realised in January 1958. Some weeks later the employment protection made some burdens and changes necessary, which were done in following summer.
The official inauguration of the ski jumping hill then took place on January 11, 1959 by the major of Königswalde and the competition winner in front of 1,500 spectators was Heinz Dick from Bärenstein.
In middle 1960’s the Pionierschanze was built up and covered with plastic mattings in 1970. The winter competitions at Königswalde were a great tradition for a long time and even two times GDR championships were held. Also youth work was good and talented ski jumpers were sent to the sports club of Oberwiesenthal. Most successful jumper of Königswalde was Winfried Gebhardt, who was European Junior’s Champion at Tarvisio in 1972.
The last competition was held in 1988, after that Pöhlatalschanze was shut down and demolished in middle 1990’s.

to top

Hill records K36 (Men):

to top


to top



to top


Post comment:

bold | italics | underline | link

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

to top

Social Bookmarks

Copyright © Ski Jumping Hill Archive 2002-2024