|K-Point:||ca. 65 m|
|Longest jump:||75.3 m (247 ft) (Alf Engen , 1931-01-01)|
|Hill record:||61.9 m (203 ft) (Einar Fredbo , 1931-01-24)|
|Inrun length:||93 m|
|Year of construction:||1929|
|Year of destruction:||1934|
|Ski club:||Ogden Ski Club|
In order to strengthen tourism in Ogden, the construction of a large hill in the area of the "Shanghai Flat" in Ogden Canyon started in autumn 1929 under the direction of Lars Haugen. For construction costs of 2,000 dollars, an almost 100-meter long inrun and a wooden take-off were built, so that a new world record should also be possible. The inauguration of Becker Hill then took place on January 19, 1930, with Halvor Bjorngaard scoring 176 feet (54 meters) in front of 3,000 spectators, but he fell. The ski jump was named after the ski jumping organizer and brewery owner at the time, Gus Becker, who steered the Engen brothers to Utah and organized numerous competitions with them.
The big opening competition took place on February 15/16, 1930, with 13 professional ski jumpers taking part, including Alf Engen and Sigurd Ulland. Because of warm temperatures, however, jumps only reached 36 meters.
In the summer of 1930, the Ogden Ski Club under the direction of Bjorngaard made numerous improvements to the ski jump. During a training competition on New Year's Day 1931, Alf Engen even managed to jump 247 feet (75.3 m) - an unofficial [aid=14]world record[/fid]! A show competition was held a few days later in front of 8,000 spectators and several more followed that winter.
Due to the exposed location and traffic problems, the ski jump should be moved closer to the city of Ogden to Taylor's Canyon in the summer of 1931. It didn't come to that though - tragically, Bjorngaard died in a road accident. In 1932 and 1933 further competitions took place on Becker Hill, but then the ski jump was abandoned. Ultimately, it also fell victim to the construction of the Pineview Dam, which began in the fall of 1934.