|Hill record:||60.0 m (197 ft) (Reidar Andersen , 1939)|
|60.0 m (197 ft) (Tim Denisson , 1971)|
|Year of construction:||1938|
|Ski club:||St. Paul Ski Club|
The first ski jumping hill of St Paul was constructed at Mounds Park in 1924-25 and was patterned after the ski jump at Odnes in Norway. With its horizontal take-off, enormous drop height and abrupt transition into the landing area it was typical for its time. The opening competition was held on February 15, 1925 and Anders Haugen set up the first hill record of 109 feet (33.2 meters). The hill had been used until 1939 when it was destroyed by a wind storm in August.
As a replacement the 60 meter hill at Battle Creek was errected for St Paul Winter Carnival 1939 and afterwards even the national ski jumping championships of 1939 were held there. Winner of the honours class was World Champion Reidar Andersen from Norway with jumps on 193 and 197 ft (58.8 and 60.0 m). The hill had been used until 1970's and the last hill record was 197 feet (60 m) by Tim Denisson in 1971.
After that ski jumping activities of St Paul Ski Club shifted to Carver's Lake at South Maplewood, where a new 40 meter hill was set up in 1972 and named after the former ski jumper and functional Tom Harrington. Still today the four ski jumps K46, K30, K20 and K10 are used, with K46 and K20 even being covered with plastic mattings.
Information and photos:
St Paul Ski Club, MN Historical Society (stpaulskiclub.smugmug.com)