Recent news:

Luis on Ski Jumping Hill Tournament: at the World Cup Final 2016 in Planica, Part II

Conversion of Heini-Klopfer-Schanze about to start

Luis on Ski Jumping Hill Tournament: at the World Cup Final 2016 in Planica, Part I

Ljubno: 100 meters will not be an illusion anymore

Final renovation phase in Zao finished

more



Latest updates:

2016-05-24

POL-RDąbrowica   NEW!

2016-05-08

SLOPlanica

2016-05-06

NOR-08Skien

2016-04-24

POL-SWisła

SWEFalun

GER-STHasselfelde   NEW!

2016-04-21

GER-SNOberwiesenthal

GER-BYOberstdorf

AUT-KVillach

AUT-STRamsau

AUT-VTschagguns

AUT-TSeefeld

AUT-OOHinzenbach

2016-04-20

AUT-TStams

2016-04-02

GER-BYBuchenberg

more




Advertisement:





Partner:










USAUSA-MNRed Wing

Data | History | Competitions | Links | Map | Photo gallery | Comments

.

Mt Charlson Ski Jump:

K-Point: 50 m
Year of construction: 1925

McSorley Hill:

K-Point: 30 m
Hill record: 31.4 m (103 ft) (Torjus Hemmestveit NOR, 1893)
Further jumps: no
Status: destroyed
Plastic matting: no
Ski club: Aurora Ski Club

to top

History:

The history of American ski jumping began in the 80’s of 19th century in Red Wing, Minnesota. There mainly Norwegian immigrants founded Aurora Ski Club and started ski jumping. On 1887-02-08 Mikkel Hemmestvedt managed the jump the first North-American ski jumping record with 37 feet (11,3 m) at the very first ski jumping competition in the USA. At that time “Red Wing Style” was created, a type of flying which was copied by people from the whole continent later and made Aurora Ski Club the best of the country for about 20 years of time. Already three years later Mikkel Hemmestvedt jumped the first world record at Red Wing with 102 ft. (31.1 m) and 1893 his brother Torjus even jumped one feet longer and therewith again a new world record.
McSorely Hill, which was also called Bush Street Ski Jump, had been in use until 1920's.
In 1928 and 1936 25,000 spectators watched the national skiing championships which were hosted on a new ski jump at Mt Charlson, but already in early 1950’s the ski club was disintegrated due to a ebbing number of members. The history of the club is now told in a book by Frederick L. Johnson called “Sky Crashers”.

to top

Competitions:

to top

Links:

to top

Map:

to top

Photo gallery:

Advertisement:

The SEIL-FREY snow retention system

to top

Comments:

Post comment:

Token:
Name:
Email:
Title:
Post:
bold | italics | underline | link

to top



Social Bookmarks

Copyright © Ski Jumping Hill Archive 2002-2015
www.skijumpinghills.com