|Hill Size:||HS 134|
|Hill record:||142.5 m (Anders Jacobsen , 2011-02-08, N-NOR)|
|Official hill record:||141.0 m (Andreas Kofler , 2011-03-05, WSC-T)|
|Ladie's hill record:||134.0 m (Sara Takanashi , 2013-03-17, L-WC)|
|Inrun length:||90.35 m|
|Take-off length:||6.6 m|
|Take-off height:||3 m|
|Year of construction:||1892|
|Conversions:||1914, 1928, 1952, 1963, 1981, 1993, 1999, 2009|
In the home country of skiing the first ski jumping competitions took place from 1879 to 1891 on Husebybakken in the western part of Oslo. On January 31, 1892 around 5 km north of it a new ski jumping hill at Holmenkollen was inaugurated. Attended by an outrageous number of 20,000 spectators the first winner jumped on 22.5 m. Since this year the traditional Holmenkollen competitions, which later became skiing festivals and now are the regular World Cup competitions in March, have been existing.
With the development of ski jumping of course the ski jump changed its outline, too and up until now it has been converted 14 times. In 1904 the takeoff which was constructed out of wood and snow, was replaced by stone construction, ten years later the first wooden inrun tower was built and stood until 1927, when it destructed only one day after a tournament. In 1928 the construction of a 19 m high new tower began, as well as the enlargement and drainage of the landing hill and outrun and then for the World championships a worthy ski jumping facility could be presented. With the 40 meters high tower, which was made by concrete in 1939, for a first time more than 60 meters could be jumped.
World War II interrupted sports business for six years and for the first competition after the war 106,000 spectators came to “Fredsrennet”, one of them king Haakon VII. When the Olympic Winter Games 1952 were opened, participants were astonished by the new inrun of the ski jump which was supported by concrete columns and had symmetrical spectator traverses on both sides. Because there have been ski jumping World Champions on large and normal hill since 1962, for the WSC 1966 Midtstubakken was built about 500 m apart. Before the WSC 1982 the whole facility was renovated again, the last larger conversion took place in 1992.
For the WSC 2011 again a renovation of the whole winter sports area was necessary and so the decision for a complete demolition and new-construction of the Holmenkollen ski jump fell after a long seesaw in April 2008. On 2008-10-17 the new-construction of the “Nye Holmenkollen Fyr” HS 134 ski jump of Copenhagen-based JDS Architects was started with the destruction of the inrun tower. In only a bit more than one year of construction time the new Holmenkollbakken had been prepared for ski jumping and so 7,000 spectators could celebrate the official inauguration with the first jump on 106.5 m made by Anette Sagen on March 3, 2010. The total cost for the modernization of the Holmenkollen facilities as a preparation for the WSC 2011 was more than 200m Euro, including Midtstubakken and cross-country facilities.
Conservation and renovation were and are a never-ending process in this arena, where by the 50,000 members counting skiing union “Foreningen til Ski-Idrettens Fremme”, shortly called Skiforeningen, plays a very important role. This is not only concerning preparation and execution of sports highlights in winter time, but also delivering and supporting the miscellaneous sports activities in summer around Holmenkollen.
Worth mentioning is also the oldest skiing museum of the world, which has been existing at Holmenkollen since 1932 and moved inside the hill in 1966. In 1983 it was reopened completely new directly inside the fundament of the ski jump and with the lift you can enjoy a wonderful overview of Oslo from the 60 m high starting platform. Over 1.2 million visitors every year are interested into the development of skiing sports and so this museum is one of main tourist spotlights on the Norwegian capitol. Paris has its Eiffel tower, New York has the statue of Liberty and Oslo has the Holmenkollen – the Mekka of winter sports.