Recent news:

Fire destroys ski jumps in Biberau-Biberschlag

Copper Peak: Funding of the renovation finally secured

200 ski jumping facilities in the USA

The Ski Jumping Hill Archive reaches 3000 ski jumping sites!

New junior hills being developed in China

more


Send us your ski jumping hill photos and information via email!


Latest updates:

2022-09-29

POL-DMikołajów   NEW!

NOR-30Ski

AUT-OOWindischgarsten

AUT-OOWindischgarsten   NEW!

2022-09-28

CZE-JNové Město na Moravě

CZE-JNové Město na Moravě

NOR-30Ski

2022-09-27

CZE-JSvratka

NOR-30Bærum

2022-09-26

FRA-VChamonix

SLOKranj

GER-STWippra

NOR-30Lommedalen

2022-09-25

USA-WIWashburn

AUT-STRamsau

more



Advertisement:




Partner:

Peter Riedel Sports Technology

SkokiPolska.pl

Skispringen-Community Forum


Advertisement:



GERGER-THZella-Mehlis

Regenberg

Data | History | Contact | Map | Photo gallery | Comments

.

Regenbergschanze:

K-Point: ca. 45 m
Plastic matting: no
Year of construction: 1927
Conversions: 1930
Coordinates: 50.649972, 10.652185 Google Maps OpenStreetMap

Schanze am Schwarzen Hügel:

K-Point: 20 m
Plastic matting: yes
Conversions: 1954
Coordinates: 50.647382, 10.655341 Google Maps OpenStreetMap
Further jumps: no
Status: destroyed
Ski club: SC Motor Zella-Mehlis
Coordinates: 50.649972, 10.652185 Google Maps OpenStreetMap

to top

History:

In 1924 the winter sports clubs of Zella and Mehlis merged and two years later they began the construction of the first ski jumping hill. The Regenbergschanze was inaugurated on January 9, 1927 as part of the district championships. The longest jump was 30 meters. In 1929-30 the ski jump was extended by the Skiclub Zella-Mehlis and then considered as "one of the best in Thuringia" by the press.
Zella-Mehlis became stronghold of ski jumping in the GDR after World War II. SC Motor Zella-Mehlis was the home club of German ski jumping legends such as Helmut Recknagel, Horst Queck, Rainer Schmidt and Peter Lesser, and also of the former German national coach Reinhard Heß. Main driver behind the development of ski jumping in Zella-Mehlis was Hans Renner, who was also GDR national coach from 1954 until his demise in 1970.
At that time, Regenbergschanze at Schwarzer Hügel, situated above Zella-Mehlis, was a 20 meter training hill. Hans Renner installed and tested there the very first plastic mattings of ski jumping history! After first attempts on plane mats that were watered had failed due to the still to high friction, Renner decided to cut the mats into small stripes, introducing the characteristic plastic tufts that are still used today. Renner initially had idea the idea of using watered plastic mats when slipping on the wet doormat in front of his house! The first test jump on 23 meters was carried out by Harald Pfeffer on August 25, 1954 under strict exclusion of the public. After final tests on October 31, the invention that deeply influence ski jumping was presented to the public on November 21, 1954, with the first summer competition on plastic mattings on the Thüringenschanze at Wadeberg in Oberhof.
In 1988 a memorial stone for Hans Renner was set up at the former location of Regenbergschanze, which had been long gone. For the 100th birthday on Renner, who passed away already in 1970, the ski jump was reconstructed for a festive celebration in August 2019, partially with original mattings from the 1950s. SC Motor Zella-Mehlis is still very actively training young ski jumpers and has been operating the Hans Renner ski jumps at Stachelsrain since 1976.

to top

Contact:

to top

Map:

to top

Photo gallery:


Advertisement:


to top

Comments:

Post comment:

Token:
Name:
Email:
Title:
Post:
bold | italics | underline | link

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

to top



Social Bookmarks

Copyright © Ski Jumping Hill Archive 2002-2022
www.skijumpinghills.com