|Hill record:||62.0 m (Helmut Recknagel )|
|Total height:||80 m|
|Tower height:||18 m|
|Year of construction:||1953|
|Ski club:||BSG Aufbau Neuhausen|
In 1952 the construction of the large ski jumping hill at Neuhausen started within the scope of the national rebuilding society (NAW), because the old-fashioned Schwartenbergschanze did no longer fulfil modern affordings. By the support of the GDR government, which had decided help for building housing, cultural and sports facilities in 1953, many dedicated sportsmen and voluntary workers from Neuhausen worked on this enormous project. The area was made available by the community, the wood was donated by local forest owners and plans were made by Heini Klopfer from Oberstdorf, as well as detailed projecting by VEB sports facilities at Aue. 1500 m³ of soil and stone were moved, 15 t of cement sheeted and 150 solid cubic meters of wood and 4 t of iron parts were treated for building up the inrun tower.
By the end of 1953 time had come, the ski jumping hill at Gassenberg was apparent in the whole town and at the same time in the outrun a natural ice skating rink was finished! On Sunday, January 24, 1954 the inauguration ceremony of the new constructed jump which was now called “Schanze der Einheit” took place. This facility was unique in the whole district and in the following winters of 1950’s many well-frequented competitions with high-class jumpers were hosted. An absolute peak-event was the special competition for the prize of GDR Federation of Trade Unions in 1959, in which the whole national jumpers elite of that time took part and the Olympic Bronze Medal winner of 1956 Harry Glass won in front of Helmut Recknagel and Werner Lesser.
Then the last competition already was in 1961, because with the begin of the construction of the drinking water dam Rauschenbach a goods station had to the built in the outrun of the jump, which was then no longer usable. The sports leaders of Neuhausen then tried to reanimate the area for other sports facilities after the finishing of the drinking water project in 1968, but failed due to new sport strategies of the SED politics. In 1973/74 finally the inrun tower was removed.