|Hill record:||55.0 m (Anton Steinmüller , 1939)|
|Official hill record:||53.0 m (Alfred Steinmüller , 1939)|
|Tower height:||18 m|
|Take-off height:||1.8 m|
|Year of construction:||1923|
|Ski club:||WSV Aschberg|
|Coordinates:||50.400735, 12.512064 ✔|
When the winter sports club Aschberg was founded in the part of town of Klingenthal on July 5, 1922, it was probably already decided to build their own ski jumping hill. Carl August Seydel was the elected chairman of the club and a very engaging and active supporter of this idea. He was the owner of a mouthorgan manufacture in Klingenthal and based on his initiative the construction of a large ski jump started on June 2, 1923. The location was at the north-eastern slope of 936 meter high Aschberg (cz. Kamenáč), of which the summit is actually situated across the Czech border. On November 11, 1923 the hill was official named Curt A. Seydel-Schanze, but after a first test jump on November 22, further modifications had to be made to the ski jump. Finally, the ski jump was inaugurated on January 5, 1924 by Sepp Scherbaum, a ski jumper from Schwaderbach.
The facility was at its time the largest of whole Saxony. In subsequent years, it was converted several times and the wooden inrun tower was extended by another structure to reach an impressive height of 18 meters. Many competitions with international participants were held there, such as Vogtland championships, Saxonian championships and cup tournaments. The highlight were certainly the German Championships in 1929, for which 18,000 spectators travelled to the foot of the hill. The 1933 competition at Aschberg was won by Birger Ruud from Norway - one of the world's best ski jumpers. The World and Olympic Champion was not only a formidable ski jumper, but also participated in the extinguishing of a fire that broke out in the skiing cabin at the hill. As an acknowledgement, he was nominated as honors member of the Aschberg fire brigade.
The last competitions on Curt A. Seydel-Schanze took place in winter 1940 and after World War II the ski jump was abandoned. From 1933 on there was already the larger Vogtlandschanze, which was built by WSV Mühlleithen, and finally in 1958 große Aschbergschanze was built as an adequate replacement in Klingenthal.