|Hill record:||43.0 m (K. Riedel , 1951)|
|Year of construction:||1924|
|Ski club:||WSV Murnau, SC Murnau|
In Seeleiten at Berggeist, a village 3 km west of and belonging to Murnau at Staffelsee, there was once a ski jumping hill of Winter sports club Murnau, who had before only organized competitions of all kinds of ice sports on Staffelsee. This is not very astonishing, since the local ice skating club was already founded in 1882 and later in 1905 the first skiing activities had started with the renaming into winter sports club.
Ski races with cross-country and ski jumping were first hosted at Murnau in 1920 and on March 17, 1925, with the inauguration of Berggeistschanze, which had a very long inrun trail and a large wooden take-off, the up-coming time of ski jumping had started. Cup competitions, carnival tournaments and regional events of the ski district Werdenfels were organized and in these ambitious times of skiing activities in 1932 the ski manufacturer Hermann Rösch began with the production of all kinds of skis at Murnau. In summer 1934 the dilapidated and old-fashioned Berggeistschanze was destructed and reconstructed with financial support of the tourism association. The longest jump was performed in January 1951 with 43 m by Riedel from Partenkirchen and this hill record staid untouched until the very last competition in early 1960’s. The ski jumpers from Murnau afterwards started on foreign ski jumping hills, because the own one was no more usable.
Finally in 1965 it was tried to overcome stagnation of ski jumping department of the ski club by the construction of a practising ski jump, but the lack of younger ski jumpers at the end lead to the end of ski jumping at Murnau.