|Hill record:||30.0 m (Karl Neuner , 1928-01-02)|
|Year of construction:||1927|
|Ski club:||SC Kochel|
Right at the center of the climatic spa Kochel am See in Bavarian foreland there is a memorial for Balthasar Mayer. Kochel with its 1250 year long history became famous for him, the legendary “Schmied von Kochel” (“Forger of Kochel”), who lost his life heroically in the year 1705 fighting the slaughter of countrymen against the emperor-Austrian occupants and since has been a Bavarian folk hero.
Already from 1925 on the ski jumpers of Kochel had been building a snow ski jump at Aspenstein, on which distances longer than 20 meters could not be reached.
When the Ski-Club Kochel inaugurated its ski jump construction at Gaisbüchl near the station with an opening competition on January 2, 1928, it was self-evident that the new ski jumping hill was named after the hero of Kochel. More than 1000 spectators attended a very interesting and exciting competition with a large scope of participants from the ski district of Werdenfelser Land and the most famous starter was German champion Karl Neuner from Partenkirchen. He not only won first place, but also jumped a hill record of 30 meters non-competitive and finally made a keen double-jump with second-ranked his brother Martin.
On the natural ski jump many “Forger of Kochel”-competitions where held in the following years – however the hill record stayed unbroken. Through World War II just as everywhere sports club laid down and in spite of many attempts there were only little efforts with rebuilding the ski jumping hill after the end of the war, so in winter 1948/49 the very last ski jumps were performed there.