|Hill record:||33.0 m (Steffen Wonde )|
|Year of construction:||1954|
|Year of destruction:||1988|
|Ski club:||SG Rauen|
|Coordinates:||52.324500, 14.035717 ✔|
When the Sportgemeinschaft Rauen was founded in 1951, the idea of building a ski jumping hill was already inside the heads of the ski-fascinated members. In 1954 the construction in Rauen near Fürstenwalde, 40 km east of Berlin, started in the Rauen mountains near highway Berlin-Frankfurt/Oder. At that time there were of course problems with getting the material, but with a lot of enthusiasm and voluntary work the wooden inrun tower was built up. In order to get it safe, the top of the tower had to be fixed with the surrounding trees and then people could jump.
Since this construction wasn’t very safe, in 1957 a new enlarged Waldschanze was created with soil movement in radius and landing area. For this work the people of Rauen got support by pioneer technique of a Russian battalion situated nearby. The new 18 m high inrun tower was built up in the town, made of parts of the Hartwig company, transported and then set up on 14 new concrete fundaments.
In snow-secure winters of the 1960’s a lot of ski jumping and combination competitions were hosted, attained by a large number of spectators. Also comparison events with jumpers from Eisenhüttenstadt, Sagar, Bad Muskau and Bad Freienwalde, and regional championships, too, were held. In 1975 the hill was covered with plastic mattings and a water line installed. For younger jumpers a smaller ski jumping hill was built and the last large thing made was the construction of the ski house in 1977. The steel-made construction for judges was built up in 1981.
Last jumps on Waldschanze were made back in 1988. Winters with only few snow, the older jumpers and supporters who couldn’t continue there work and declining interest of the youth unfortunately lead to the stop of ski jumping at Rauen. In 1999 the inrun tower was removed.