Recent news:

The ski jumping hill dictionary

More than 5000 ski jumping hills in our archives!

Normal hill in North Korea discovered!

Renovation of Inselbergschanze possible – future Ladies’ World Cups as well?

From Olympic to junior ski jumps: Construction works in full swing

more


Send us your ski jumping hill photos and information via email!


Latest updates:

2020-06-02

CZE-TNýdek

ESTTallinn

2020-06-01

GER-BYBad Feilnbach

AUT-STMurau

POL-SGilowice

POL-KChochołów

2020-05-31

AUT-KVelden

AUT-KVelden

2020-05-30

AUT-STBad Mitterndorf

AUT-STBad Mitterndorf

AUT-STBad Mitterndorf

2020-05-29

GER-BYLam

GER-BYLam

AUT-OOBad Goisern

AUT-VRiezlern

more



Advertisement:




Partner:

Peter Riedel Sports Technology

SkokiPolska.pl

Skispringen-Community Forum


Advertisement:



CANCAN-SKSaskatoon

Data | History | Links | Map | Photo gallery | Videos | Comments

.

John Ingvald Jump at Varsity Site (Ski Jump Coulee):

K-Point: 40 m
Tower height: 25.6 m
Year of construction: 1931
Conversions: 1936, 1963
Out of operation since: 1974
Year of destruction: 1978

Saskatchewan Jump at Devil's Dip:

K-Point: 20 m
Year of construction: 1929
Out of operation since: 1930
Further jumps: no
Plastic matting: no
Status: destroyed
Ski club: Saskatoon Ski Club

to top

History:

The first jump at the banks of Saskatchewan River, near the largest city of the Canadian territory of Saskatchewan, was built in 1929-30 by Saskatoon Ski Club with permission of the university. It was located at "Devil's Dip" and inaugurated on January 18, 1930. However, during the same season a jumper broke his leg and the ski jump had to be closed since the university withdrew its permission.
Already in the following winter a new, larger ski jumping hill with a ca. 18 meter high tower was errected a few hundred meters north at "Varsity Site". The first record there was 97 feet (29.5 m) by Dave Wood. In 1933 a clubhouse was added and in 1936 the hill, which was also called "Ski Jump Coulee", was reconstructed and enlarged with a 25 meter high tower. The hill was then used for a few decades and competitions there even attracted up to 2,500 spectators. Furthermore, alpine slopes, a ski lift and a toboggan run were added at the site.
Though interest in ski jumping had already been decreasing, the ski jump was reconstructed in 1963, reorienting the outrun from the river onto the bank and thus making the hill smaller. However, in 1974 ski jumping operations stopped and in 1978 it was torn down. In 1971 Canadian Winter Games were hosted at Saskatoon and for that purpose a new winter sports facility was opened at Mt. Blackstrap, which made the other facilities at Varsity Site unnecessary, too.

to top

Links:

to top

Map:

to top

Photo gallery:

to top

Videos:


Advertisement:


to top

Comments:

Post comment:

Token:
Name:
Email:
Title:
Post:
bold | italics | underline | link

to top



Social Bookmarks

Copyright © Ski Jumping Hill Archive 2002-2020
www.skijumpinghills.com