Heini-Klopfer-Schanze to be re-built
The future perspectives of the Heini-Klopfer ski flying hill at Oberstdorf (GER) are finally cleared. The delegated officials and politicians voted for a general renovation of Germany's ski flying hill. This project will cost around 13 million Euros and is supposed to be finished until the end of 2016. Skijumpinghills.com presents this project and the planned financial investments in detail.
The electoral boards have made their decision: the skiflying hill of Oberstdorf (Hein-Klopfer-Schanze) will also be existing in the future. On July 17th, the local ski club announced this decision, which was made by politicians from Oberstdorf and the region of Oberallgaeu. This decision stopped lately speculations about closing the hill. These mainly appeared, because the International Ski-Federation (FIS) decided to replace Oberstdorf’s World Cup weekend in the upcoming winter season 2015/16 with Titisee-Neustadt.
But the main important happening around this whole topic was last year’s announcement of Oberstdorf as host of the ski-flying world championships in 2018. Because the hill did not have any valid certificate since January 1st 2014 and it was also clear it had to be renovated, there were no competitions until today. The last competitions were an individual competition and a team competition in course of the last edition of the Team-Tour in February 2013. The request for the new profile and hill certificate was approved by the FIS on May 27th and so the local politicians were able to decide about realising this project.
The biding procedure has already started and it is about finding companies who finish the necessary works until the end of 2016. The next ski flying event on the Heini-Klopfer-hill will be scheduled in 2017 as a test event for the ski-flying world championships one year later. All in all, this project will cost around 13 million Euros and is very important not only for the community of Oberstdorf, but also for the German ski federation (DSV). This can be seen in the following calculation: in case of no more ski flying events, DSV loses 4.5 million Euros per Olympic period (four years), which could not be invested in the sport of ski jumping. 80 percent of the financial invests will be paid through the federal budget of Germany and Bavaria, the other 20 percent will be paid by the community of Oberstdorf and donations.
One of the main criteria for the renovation was FIS’ decision in 2013 to enlarge the maximum height difference from take-off to outrun of 135 meters. The architects’ team designed the new hill profile by including this parameter. The generally renewed hill will have a K-point of 200 meters and a new hill size of 225 meters and will be equal to the hills in Kulm, Vikersund and Planica. After the re-construction of the Kulm in Austria, Oberstdorf became the “only” fourth biggest ski jump in the world; in a best-case-scenario, a world record is possible here; but nevertheless it is not the main objective of the officials. As an effect of the renovation, the existence of the hill might be ensured for decades.
The main character trait of the hill, the inrun tower, is supposed to exist further. The existing geometry will be used for a re-design of the inrun and the take-off will be spotted 7.5 meters back and 5 meters up. Because of that the porch has to be built higher; the slope will be completely re-designed to allow flat landing angles. And also the outrun will be changed and extended. This means as well that the stands for spectators have to move, as well as the TV-compound and temporary buildings.
Some further changes will be made beside the actual hill. The coaches` stand will be re-built. Also the judges` tower will be changed. Some new rooms will be added for improving the judges` view on the hill and the flights. These changes will be a bit moderate, because existing buildings will be used. In contrast to the lift. The double-chair-lift is now 42 years old and has to be re-built. Also the elevator in the inrun tower will be re-built.
Further arrangements are supposed to improve the general infrastructure at the hill. New installments on the inrun tower will be: an ice-inrun-track, a new light barrier, new starting lights and also multi-functional-rooms. In addition to that, the ski-club wants to open a museum about the history of ski-flying to make the hill even more attractive for tourists. Around 35 new timber houses will be built as the new athletes’ village. Another very important feature of the new hill will be a new video distance measuring system, which will be installed as well as technological systems for artificial snow. Very similar to Planica, snow-keepers shall be established and also the side fences will be renewed.
Ski Jumps:Oberstdorf (Skiflugschanze)